Monday, October 5, 2009

Non-fiction Text Features

Hi Literature Students,
"Travelers and Traders" and "Rain or Shine" are both non-fiction texts. We know that non-fiction texts are organized by different text features such as pictures, captions, headings, sub-headings, table of contents, glossary, index, etc. Flip through your text once again to see notice each of these elements. Then, please write a short paragraph giving three reasons why text features are so important in following and understanding non-fiction. Let these questions guide your thinking:
How can pictures help us to better understand?
Why do the pictures need captions?
Why would the author decide to include a glossary?
How do headings help with the organization of the text?

Thanks,
Mrs. Springston

8 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs.S,
    “Rain or Shine” is non fiction because it has true facts that we can belive it and it has text features.Like captions to tell us what the pictures are and what they mean.Also it has a table of contents to tell you what page you are looking for.Last,it has a glossary to tell you what certain words mean in the book.This how I know “Rain or Shine” is not fiction.

    Love,
    Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. S,

    “Rain or Shine” has many important non-fiction text features included in the book. Pictures with captions help me with knowing what the picture shows. The author decides to put a glossary to help us understand the meaning of a word. Headings help me know what I'm reading about.

    Your friend,
    Xavier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. S,


    “Rain Or Shine” has many text features and I am going to tell you my reasones. First,the pictures give me an idea of whats happening in the story. Next,the index tells me what the chapter is about. Then, the glossary tells me what the words are about.



    Your Friend,
    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madison,

    I went ahead and published yours, but an index actually doesn't tell what the chapter is about. The index is in the very back and can tell you what page you need to find out about a particular topic. For example, you could look up fractions in our SRB and it will tell you what page to go to in order to find out more about fractions.

    Sincerely,
    Mrs. Springston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Literature Circle B,

    Aren't glossaries so helpful?! Make sure to always utilize them when reading non-fiction. It's OK to not know what a word means, but you do want to learn it so make sure you use the resources available.

    Happy reading,
    Mrs. Springston

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs. Springston,
    These are some things that help me with reading. The sub heading gives you specific information about what you will be reading about. The picture caption also helps me because I know what the picture is of. Last, the title helps because then I know what I'll be reading. Thats what helps me with reading.

    Your student,
    Auzurai




    love, Auzurai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs.Springston,

    I will tell you about three text features from Rain or Shine:

    1]The pictures help me find out what the book is about.
    2]The heading tells me what I am going to be reading about.
    3]The glossary helps me understand what the word means.



    From,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mrs.Springston,
    The Glossarys in books help me understand what words mean.The captions help me understand what is going on more in the picture.Table of contents help me know how many chapters I have to figure out if this book is to big for me and if I can read that book.

    Sincerly,
    KJ

    ReplyDelete